Seafood Curry Chowder Base:
Yields 1 1/2 gallons
- 2 lb unsalted butter
- 1 lb onions (rough chopped)
- 1 lb fennel (rough chopped)
- 1 lb celery (rough chopped)
- 1/2 cup garlic cloves
- 2 lemons (halved)
- 4 oz curry powder
- 4 oz corn oil
- 2 qts unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 small head fresh ginger
- 1 tsp dried ginger
- 1 tsp dried cardamon
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 lb seafood shells (based on availability)
- 1 gal fish stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a large pot, apart from the stock and coconut milk.
- Sweat all ingredients over medium heat until the onions start to soften.
- Once onions start to soften, add fish stock.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. When all ingredients are soft, remove from heat.
- Purée soup using a blender. Purée in small batches, ensuring all batches are extremely smooth.
- Pass soup through a China Cap Strainer.
- Add coconut milk and return to stove. Bring soup to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Add seafood of choice and serve OR chill and store.
Seafood Curry Chowder:
- 8 oz curry chowder soup
- 2 oz cooked clam meat
- 3 oz sweated vegetable mix (carrots, peas, sweetcorn, celery)
- 2 oz cooked medium diced potatoes
- 1 oz small cubed butter
- 3 oz raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 3 oz clams (fresh or individually quick frozen)
- 2 oz clam juice
- Chopped scallions for garnish
- Add shrimp to a hot sauté pan and sear (add clams if using fresh, not frozen).
- Add butter, potatoes, and vegetables to the pan. Bring pan back to a high temperature, stirring frequently.
- Add clam meat, clam juice, and clams (if frozen) to pan. Bring back to temperature while stirring.
- Add chowder, bring to a simmer, and reduce to desired viscosity.
- Season to taste and serve immediately. Garnish with scallions.